Sunday, November 29, 2015

So What Did I Listen To While Writing Sound?


Note: This blog was first published online September 20th, 2014. Sound (by Gil Liane) is available on Amazon Kindle. 

I love being enveloped in music, especially when working on my stories. Often I listen before I begin writing, to get my mind in the right place. Music can be the best guide, helping you find your way to a certain mood, or feeling, or something even more nebulous than that… A sensation? A state of grace, or (dis)grace, even? Who knows. Sometimes language isn’t large enough.

In my novel Sound I wrote that music is a spirit animal, the kind shamans used to talk about. Prowling the borders of your mind, seductive and elusive. Tapping into the eternal river of chaos just beyond the eye line.

So what did I listen to while writing Sound?

For anyone curious, here’s a track per chapter listing. I’ve referenced (relatively) new clips, most of which should be available to purchase somewhere online, if you’re interested. (Consider being interested, they’re magnifique x)
Chapter 1. Future Sound of London – Amoeba

Mellow but alive, aural feed for the budding concepts hanging out in my head. I love F.S.O.L.,for years I've listened to their albums when painting or writing. Perfect beginnings.

Chapter 2. Mink Mussel Creek – They Dated Steadily

Wild/sexy/edgy, which seems apt for the scene with more feeding, and eventually, the introduction of the character Michael. Encapsulates the mood I was chasing with my sentences.

Chapter 3. Fait – Surrender To (Be warned, there are flashing lights.)

Fait started releasing material when I was finishing the manuscript (meaning rewrites). Hypnotic, beautiful, unique tune. Creates an atmosphere that gets my head in the right space. Definitely one of my faves.
Chapter 4. Felicity Groom – Finders and Keepers

Brings to mind the color and art in Sound. Think moments a little less ominous. Threads of community, friendly encounters with smiles and conversation. A nice balance.



Chapter 5. Joe McKee – Flightless Bird/Lunar Sea

When working on emotionally intricate scenes, you need music that’s been carefully, beautifully shaped; a reminder that lines of words carrying the heavy weight of complex ideas require a similarly delicate touch.

Chapter 6. Suede/ The Tears – The Asphalt World/Apollo 13

A throwback to the all-consuming passion you feel discovering a band as a teen. Eloquently melancholic. (Anyone lucky enough to catch Apollo 13 at a festival got a taste of the Bernard/Butler magic, albeit in another form.)



Chapter 7. Rising Appalachia – Scale Down

Even though Rising Appalachia makes me think of the Ceruleans in my book, I’ve allocated the song to chapter seven. Text that lets you slow down a little, step back, and breathe.


Chapter 8. Will Stoker & The Embers – Five Beds For Bitsy/Don’t Ever Tell Me

A moody and ominous song. Don’t Ever Tell Me is so different, but both feel like truths. Combined they create a multifaceted impression of the band, which I find inspiring.



Chapter 9. Tame Impala – Half Full Glass of Wine

My favorite band to play in a writing emergency, ie when a chapter just won’t gel together. Slides inside your mind and helps the right ideas find their way out. (I put this track here ecause I think it suits the desert scene.)



Chapter 10. Ben Frost – A U R O R A album (Watch out, there are flashing lights.)

Frost’s soundscapes (for want of a better word) take your mind somewhere else. Or maybe they just take you further inside yourself? Who can tell. The effect is hard to articulate. Listen, and you’ll see what I mean.

Chapter 11. The Dead Weather – I Cut Like a Buffalo/Rocking Horse

Two Dead Weather favorites. Live footage of Jack and Allison playing Rocking Horse bristles with wild, wild energy (google the clip). I love JW in this band, all the pieces seem to fit.




Chapter 12. Eivør – Trøllabundin

A Faroese singer who channels primal energies (no other way to describe it). These sounds reach deep inside and touch your soul. I always feel like a sleeping part of my brain stirs whenever I listen. (This track wouldn't embed so please take a look on Eivør's Youtube channel.)


Chapter 13. Lykke Li – Sadness Is A Blessing

This video is more like a short film, with the magnificent Stellan Skarsgård. Absolutely perfect listening material for the ending of Sound. (I Follow Rivers also resonated.)



*If adding in Prologue and Epilogue tracks, I’d break my own rule and go old school. Jefferson Airplane’s White Rabbit (Prologue) and Malvina Reynolds What Have They Done To The Rain? (Epilogue). Maybe slide a mention of Soft Machine in there somewhere…

Follow on Instagram and Twitter as @gil_e_liane 

No comments:

Post a Comment